Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Long road...

I am so thankful to have been in this class.  I learned a ton about myself and a ton about teaching English.  As a future teacher, I learned that some of the most effective lessons happen when you scratch the plan and just allow students to speak freely about their own feelings and ideas.  I learned that there are thousands of effective ways to teach students, models that really work and that actually make students excited to participate.  Literature (in this class) did not seem laborsome even though their were many books on the reading list.  Although it seemed initimidating at first, it was exciting.  I looked forward to coming to class every week because I knew that I had a voice and that my voice was valuable to everyone.  I found myself wanting to see how Dr.Shannon ran the class and learn as much as I could from the various teaching methods that she "practiced" on us.

Allowing students to create, to choose, to speak, to think by themselves to gather their thoughts, to reflectively write on their feet, to connect to songs/popular culture, to teach me---all of these things enhance learning.  The teacher should almost always be a facilitator of good learning, not the focus.  Preparation is so important.  You need to really understand and put in the time in order to present a lesson plan that is effective. Students can spot a fake a mile away.  Modeling for your students shows them that not only do you want them to value what you are teaching, but it has relevance to your own life.  As a teacher, we want to stay fresh, but can't be afraid to use curriculum either.  There is no way that we could constantly come up with new material for every school day.  With that being said, there are many resources out there.  Being willing to use new materials, learn new methods, and revise curriculum to fit your particular classroom is vital to creating a stimulating learning atmosphere.  Using technology is incredibly important as well, but we need to make sure that it is used properly and appropriately.  It should enhance a lesson, not take away or be used as a crutch.

Culture is a huge part of how we identify ourselves.  Literature, in many ways, is a representation of that identity.  Creating an atmosphere where all students feel "identified" is a tough task, but one that we shouldn't get tired of trying to meet.  Allow students to be themselves.  Don't be prejudice, ignorant, or intolerant.  Be a human being and you can connect to any other human being.  Humanity is beautiful.  Learning is stimulated by differences so embrace them!

I have so much longer before I have this English teaching thing mastered.  I'm scared to death that I am not smart enough, don't know enough, not well read enough, but I know that this is what I was created to do.  I'm going to continue to soak up all that I can, take risks, and learn from every mistake.  This class was so valuable in helping me to build confidence.  It's given me an arsenal of resources, teaching methods, and great texts.  It's helped me to embrace my fears and challenges head on in a safe and encouraging environment.  I loved the stimulating intelligent discussion and the chance to learn from all of my peers.  So here's to Ad Lit Spring Semester 2011, Cheers! 

9 comments:

  1. "I'm scared to death that I am not smart enough, don't know enough, not well read enough, but I know that this is what I was created to do."

    You speak for me here, and I'm sure you speak for other people as well. I always worry that I'm not going to be "enough" for my students, in whatever way. Have some confidence; we will get there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Using technology is incredibly important as well, but we need to make sure that it is used properly and appropriately. It should enhance a lesson, not take away or be used as a crutch."

    Sing that song. Too many teachers and professors do that. Too many students do that when they're presenting. PowerPoint's the same old thing, and it's not meant to read directly from. Time to find some new methods of using technology.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that the intrinsic lessons taught in class just through Dr. Shannon's teaching style were as helpful and effective as the extrinsic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Allowing students to create, to choose, to speak, to think by themselves to gather their thoughts, to reflectively write on their feet, to connect to songs/popular culture, to teach me---all of these things enhance learning. " - If you can correctly diagram this sentance you will be assured a passing grade in Dr. Faber's HISLIT ;)
    All kidding aside, i agree that this was a wonderful class. I'm glad the novel-a-week part is over, but that still wasn't that bad either. i'm enthused by your passion for teaching, and have always valued your opinion in class. Best of luck down the road!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything in this class has helpped all of us become better future teachers.
    "Culture is a huge part of how we identify ourselves. Literature, in many ways, is a representation of that identity. Creating an atmosphere where all students feel "identified" is a tough task, but one that we shouldn't get tired of trying to meet"
    I think this is a great idea and something we chould all bring into our classrooms. Out students need to feel confortable and like they hav etheir own identity soo they are producing their best work for us, their teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Humanity is beautiful. Learning is stimulated by differences so embrace them!"

    This is awesome! I couldn't have said it any better myself :) I agree that teaching is something that happens between the teacher and the student, a connection. We must connect to our students in order to understand them, relate to them, and come up with lessons that interest them. Teaching is more than just assigning a book and having them do a reading quiz, it's about having students understand and relate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "I'm scared to death that I am not smart enough, don't know enough, not well read enough, but I know that this is what I was created to do. I'm going to continue to soak up all that I can, take risks, and learn from every mistake."
    - This is soo mee, and I saw Cassie's comment, and she is right, "Not enough" but we all have many strong point and we will get through it all because it is what we are destined to become, educators to all the young minds. I also have learned to become confortable and open minded. I loved alllll of your insight and believe you will be a phenomenal educator and all of the kids will adore you and feel extremely comfortable to open up with you. I think your student oriented classroom will be full of discussion and students will love to enter your classroom, and upset that the bell rang to dismiss them! Good luck with all that you do in your future, your extremely talented and I love all of your thoughts, so do not ever think that you won't have enough, because you will have wayy more than enough to offer your students!

    ReplyDelete
  8. "As a future teacher, I learned that some of the most effective lessons happen when you scratch the plan and just allow students to speak freely about their own feelings and ideas. "

    I so agree with this. I chose "open-minded" as a term I wanted to describe me as a teacher, and I love the way that that term has expanded throughout this course. Being open-minded largely means being flexible. You can imagine your ideal student for years, but when you enter the classroom, she most likely will not be sitting there. You can imagine this beautiful lesson plan for Toni Morrison and a race unit for weeks, but when you enter the classroom, it may not go at all as planned. You can believe that you are well-equipped to create appeal in your studies for at-risk students, but when you bring to life the chemistry of real students and a real classroom, and a really teaching YOU, everything may just surprise you; it may even all fall apart.

    So yes, one of the most important things we can take from this class - which has offered so many important lessons - is that we absolutely MUST be flexible, or open-minded. We have to be willing to adapt at a moment's notice. We must not put too much into our "plans," but instead have a databank of resources and ideas in our heads, because the one constant I am certain that we can bank on is that nothing will be constant, and rarely will things proceed according to an abstract plan.

    And you know, if they don't - if the students drive you in directions other than you anticipated . . . . well, shit - if they are driving the unit at all (other than out the door), I'd say things are going well!

    Cheers back to you - it has been a great course! Good job, and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am confident you will be a great teacher. You've always had excellent comments in class. We're all nervous about being smart enough, knowledgeable enough. The older I get and the more I know, the more I realize I don't know. Some days that builds confidence. Some days... despair. I DO know you will be a great teacher. Keep the faith and have a great summer.

    ReplyDelete